Monday, July 8, 2013

Tackling Twin Falls Trail

Twin Falls Trail Marker
It was a gloomy, overcast 4th of July. The weather forecast called for rain which was not a surprise. It had been a wet, rainy Spring / early Summer season already in western North Carolina The morning sky seemed to provide a glimmer of hope so I set out for the Pisgah National Forest in search of a set of waterfalls known as Twin Falls.

I had already visited many of the major waterfalls in the Pisgah National Forest including the popular Looking Glass Falls and Sliding Rock Falls; the easy to access Moore Cove Falls, Slick Rock Falls, and Daniel Ridge Falls; and the hiking adventure Cedar Rock Falls and Grogan Creek Falls. I had not yet endeavored to see Twin Falls so I decided not to let the chance of rain keep me from my quest.

Soggy Buckhorn Gap Trail
My research informed me that the trail that leads to Twin Falls is located off the gravel past the Pisgah Forest Riding Stables. A parking area on the right side of the road identifies the trail entrance. It did not surprise me that there were no other vehicles parked at the trail entrance this day. The overcast sky had kept other would-be adventurers indoors this day. A quick look at the sky and down the trail I went.

I checked the trail name, Buckhorn Gap, and the trail color identification color, orange. Patches of the trail were waterlogged but passable along the edge. The rain may soak the trail but will liven the waterfalls. I came to the first fork in the trail.The trail to the right was identified as Avery Creek Trail with a blue trail marking. The orange trail marking continued straight ahead . I stayed the course with the orange trail marking.

Footbridge Across Creek
When I came to a second fork in the trail I again followed the orange trail marking and remained on Buckhorn Gap Trail. From this point Buckhorn Gap Trail crosses the creek on a footbridge. The trail and will continue a pattern of crossing the creek back and forth with footbridges providing access for hikers and horse fords access for the horseback rider.

After what seemed to be a couple of miles of hiking I came to a trail sign identifying Twin Falls trail. I found it ironic that Twin Falls Trail is classified as 'Easiest' in trail difficulty while Buckhorn gap Trail is classifies as 'Moderate' in trail difficulty. You have to hike a couple of miles of moderately difficult trail to reach the easy trail. It is at this point that the horseback riding trail comes to an end.

Left waterfall
It was a short hike along Twins Fall Trail when the sound of rushing water caught my ears.It was hard to see through the dense summer foliage towards the sound. Soon I was standing at a make-shift campsite and could catch a glimpse of both waterfalls cascading out of the mountainside. Granted, the foliage prevented unobstructed views of the Twin falls but the sights and sounds were impressive all the same. It was time to have a closer look.

The trail led to the left waterfall. The water cascaded from high in the mountain to a gushing down spout just a short distance from the rock base where I now stood. This waterfall alone would have been worth the hike to view. I could not believe my luck. I had made it all the way to the waterfall base without so much as a drop of rain. I took a few minutes to take it in and snap a few picture.

Right Waterfall
I then proceeded to the right waterfall. While the waterfall on the right may not have been as impressive as the waterfall on the left, the Twin falls effect added ambiance to the scene. he right waterfall was obstructed by the summer foliage more than the left waterfall yet standing at its base was still an awesome experience.

The ominous sound of thunder began to crack in the skies. While it had been a pleasant hike to reach and view the Twin Falls of Pisgah National Forest the hike out was going to be a wet one. The skies opened up just as I made it back to the Twin Falls Trail / Buckhorn Gap Trail junction. The remainder of the hike would be through a downpour.

No comments:

Post a Comment